Monday, June 25, 2012

Arlington National Cemetery, the Pentagon, and much more . . . .


Service men and women gave us peace and hope and let us believe in ourselves. They’ve given us courage and let us stand where we are today. So I give honor to all of the armed forces solders who keep me alive today. It is very touching to see that all the graves at Arlington National Cemetery. As the saying goes, “Freedom is not Free”. This just shows you have to work for what you want, not just ask for it. Nothing is free so I give a salute in honor of the Marines and to the veterans who have died.  

-
Jonathan  L.





Wow!  Today was very busy and interesting.  The day began with a ½ mile uphill hike in Arlington Cemetery.  I’m not going to lie it was very hot and I was tired from the night before.  Seeing the Unknown Soldier Tomb and watching the changing of the guard gave me new perspective.  I was no longer thinking of myself.  I thought of the men who had died for me so I can enjoy the freedom we all share today.  As the day continued Mr. Savary and Mr. Merry took a small group to the Law Enforcement Memorial.  The memorial consisted of two granite walls.  On these walls were all the names of Law Enforcement officers killed in action.  I have had a connection with law enforcement since I was born, because my father is a police officer.  I began to think of if his name would ever be on one of those walls.  A thought came to me that many people all around me take everyday risks to protect our country and our own freedom.  After a few other memorials we ate dinner at Union Station.  My friends and I went to Johnny Rockets and had an excellent meal.  The last Memorial that really stood out to me was the Lincoln Memorial.  I had been there before but that was 6 years ago.  Memories of climbing up the stairs and reading the Gettysburg Address inscribed on the wall soon became a reality again.  Throughout the Freedom Tour (especially today) I have reflected on the thought that freedom isn’t free.  I’m glad I have had the chance to go on this trip.

- Christine S.



No comments:

Post a Comment