Saturday, June 23, 2012

Philadelphia and Lancaster County

This day had an early start. At 6:15 we received a wakeup call, and we were out of the parking lot at 7:10. The first thing that we saw today was the Constitution Center in Philadelphia. When we first arrived we were directed into a circular room . When we were seated a man came into the middle of the room and asked us,  ”What does it really mean to be an American?”. Then, within seconds the walls and floors were being covered with images of cursive writing, pictures, and the phrase that the presentation was based on “We the People”. What I really enjoyed about the production wasn’t really the pictures or music but what the narrator was saying. To me it was encouraging and changed my mind about a few things. Once it was done we spent time in the Constitution Center visiting exhibits. What really pulled me in was the exhibit of rights for women. It was a reenactment of a debate. Of course to me though the women won the argument every time even if it wasn’t so obvious.
               
Our second place we went to was an Amish house and barn. It was quite stunning when the driveway was a Target parking lot! But besides the view of Target in your front yard the scenery was very simple. The way of life of the Amish amazed me. I actually found out that they are Christian, which was surprising to me because I did not know that. I thought that they were some sort of cult. We learned all sorts of information about their culture, like the appropriate mourning period for someone who had lost their husband/wife is a year. Plus you can get married after the mourning period is over. Now the end of the day is getting ready to make its final appearance before the early morning greets us. After we got to the hotel we jumped into the pool to splish splash and soak everything in. It was a very eventful day and I cannot wait until tomorrow when our next adventure begins.

 - Madaleine B.

No comments:

Post a Comment